Saturday, July 24, 2010

Body Hate is the Expectation.

My family and I have been working for a few weeks preparing for a garage/yard/rummage sale. Today was our second day hawking our stuff for pennies on the dollar.

A lady, with a friend, was going through a Richard Simmons weight loss kit and, laughing, asked how old it was. I said, quite seriously, "I was using it in elementary school."

And I had used it in elementary school. I would pluck the plastic piece which held a card covered in little food symbols like a chicken leg for meat, and a piece of broccoli for veggies, and I would bring it to lunch, holding it with the little lunch card needed to get food from the cafeteria. I would get my food and sit down to eat. And as I ate, I would slide the little windows closed one by one according to what I ate. I did that every day.

The lady looking at it just laughed.

And that shocked me.

I was in elementary school! That was in the late 90's! Fat hate wasn't as bad as it is now, and even at 7, 8, 9, 10 years old, I was hating my body and putting myself through torture. And she just laughed- understanding, knowing, expecting. It wasn't weird to her. It wasn't odd or out of the ordinary. Young girls were and are supposed to hate their bodies. Young girls are supposed to struggle to change what they can not. That's how it's supposed to be.

It needs to change.

Big Smiles!
-LexieDi

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on my blog are moderated! I have no tolerance for hateful words or bashing. You want to be a troll? Go somewhere else, please and thank you.